The functioning of nerves in more detail.
What contributes to sensitive nerves (and therefore a “weak back”)?
- Failed treatment and differing diagnoses cause people to be disappointed, confused and upset, which causes increased production of stress hormones which sensitizes nerves.
- Stress in general, whether emotional or physical.
- Tiredness due to a lack of rest and relaxation.
- Fear has a huge impact, for example fear of future pain.
How do I “turn down” a sensitive nervous system?
- Use the “wet brain / dry brain” model. Aim for a “wet brain”, which is one that has been flooded with endorphins. A dry brain is one that is stressed and lacking in physical activity.
How do I achieve an endorphin-rich “wet brain”?
- Increase your levels of aerobic activity, which is any activity that raises your heart rate and therefore oxygenates your tissues.
- Knowledge is power, but it’s also pain relief! Gaining a better understanding of why you are in pain will decrease your anxiety levels.
- Take medication if prescribed by your doctor.
- Laugh more – watch a funny movie.